For the reason that insurgency ousted the US-backed Afghanistan authorities, the director of the Defence Intelligence Company has warned that al Qaeda could launch an assault. This stark warning got here on Tuesday throughout the Intelligence and Nationwide Safety Summit, when Military Lieutenant Normal Scott Berrier said it might be “one to 2 years” till an assault could happen.
“The present evaluation conservatively is one to 2 years for al Qaeda to construct some functionality to at the very least threaten the homeland,” Normal Berrier mentioned.
On August 31 the US army accomplished its withdrawal, leaving the Taliban in charge of the nation.
“We didn’t get everyone out that we needed to get out,” Normal Frank McKenzie, head of U.S. Central Command, mentioned from Washington.
The final planes left Kabul airport one minute earlier than midnight on August 31 – the deadline that was organized to hold out the evacuations.
“We’re already starting to see among the indications of some potential motion of al Qaeda to Afghanistan,” Mr. Cohen mentioned.
“However it’s early days and we are going to maintain a really shut eye on that.”
Officers have said that the Islamic State’s department in Afghanistan, ISIS-Ok, could pose a risk to the US, particularly after the assault throughout the US evacuations.
ISIS-Ok staged a suicide bombing on August 26 as American troops had been finishing up evacuations within the capitals airport.
The assault killed 13 US service members and dozens of Afghans.