An unvaccinated 95-year-old man from the north coast of the county turned the second county resident to die of the flu this season. The County Well being and Welfare Division introduced in the present day.
The person had an underlying sickness and died on January fifth. He was additionally repeatedly examined for COVID-19 and was unfavourable.
In the meantime, influenza instances continued to say no final week, with 29 new instances reported throughout the week main as much as January 22, 2022. That is 14 lower than the earlier week. Compared, 26 influenza infections have been reported in the identical week final season.
“The excellent news is that influenza exercise is slowing in our space, however the brand new deaths reported in the present day are a reminder of how harmful influenza is,” mentioned a county public well being official. Wilma J. Uten, MD, mentioned. “Shield your self and your family members and get a flu shot. It’s the perfect protection towards the flu.”
The newest influenza monitoring report from the County Well being and Welfare Division exhibits that for the week ending January 22, 2022:
- Emergency division visits for influenza-like sickness: 5% of all visits (in comparison with 7% final week).
- Circumstances of influenza confirmed on examination that week: 29 (in comparison with 43 within the earlier week).
- Complete quantity of instances confirmed within the lab to date: 1,314 (668 on the similar time final season and a mean of 5,966 over the previous 5 years of the identical week).
- Quantity of influenza-related deaths reported to this point: 2 (in comparison with 0 in the identical interval final yr).
How one can stop the flu
The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention (CDC) recommends that each one individuals over the age of 6 months be vaccinated towards influenza annually. It takes about 2 weeks for the immune system to develop. The CDC additionally exhibits you could be vaccinated towards influenza and COVID-19 on the similar time, together with booster immunization. Coronavirus vaccines are ineffective towards influenza and vice versa.
Influenza vaccines are particularly essential for people who find themselves at excessive threat of severe problems from the virus.
- Folks with power situations similar to bronchial asthma, diabetes and lung illness, even when their signs are suppressed
- Pregnant feminine
- These over 65 years outdated
- Individuals who stay with or take care of others at excessive threat
Influenza vaccines may be bought at clinics and pharmacies and are lined by medical insurance coverage. These with out medical insurance coverage may be vaccinated at one of the county’s six public well being facilities or at a group clinic within the space.To search out the closest location, within the county Location of influenza vaccine Name web page or 2-1-1 San Diego.
Along with vaccination, individuals additionally must do the next to stop getting sick:
- Wash your palms completely and regularly.
- In case you can not wash your palms, use a hand sanitizer.
- Steer clear of sick individuals.
- Don’t contact your eyes, nostril or mouth.
- Clear the floor that you just typically contact.When
- In case you are ailing, keep residence and keep away from contact with others.
A complete of 848 instances of influenza have been reported in San Diego throughout the 2020-2021 influenza season, together with two deaths. Throughout the 2019-2020 influenza season, a complete of 108 San Diegans died of influenza and greater than 20,700 instances of influenza have been reported.
County Reports Second Flu Death of this Season | News Source link County Reports Second Flu Death of this Season | News