Harvesting not over, farm fires likely to peak next week

0

The variety of farm fires noticed in Punjab and Haryana are greater this yr for the kharif season until October 15, with 3,517 incidents in comparison with 1,217 for a similar interval final yr and 773 factors in 2018, based on India Meteorological Division (IMD) knowledge. Since harvesting of Kharif crops remains to be not full, crop fires are more likely to peak subsequent week.

Final yr, there have been 55,210 fireplace factors in Punjab and in 2018 there have been 50,590 fireplace factors in Punjab. There have been 616 fireplace factors in Punjab and 87 fireplace factors in Haryana on Wednesday alone, the IMD knowledge exhibits.

“Solely 50% of harvesting is full until now. Harvesting and clearing the fields will take one other 10 to 15 days. The usage of straw administration equipment will not be very profitable as a result of all farmers can not afford it and a few stubble nonetheless stays which needs to be cleared manually. The federal government ought to settle for the Supreme Court docket’s suggestion and pay Rs 100 per quintal to all farmers after which act on farmers who nonetheless burn stubble,” mentioned Dharmendra Kumar, spokesperson, Bharatiya Kisan Union.

Whereas the air high quality early warning system of ministry of earth sciences mentioned that stubble fires led to six% of the overall PM2.5 air pollution in Delhi, scientists mentioned it might change very quickly, relying on meteorological components and the variety of farm fires in Punjab and Haryana.

On Thursday, until 9 am winds have been calm which meant dispersion of pollution was not potential. After 9 am winds have been northwesterly however contribution from stubble burning was round 6%.

Scientists mentioned the affect of stubble fires on Delhi’s air pollution ranges is dynamic and therefore it’s unattainable to zero in on their whole contribution. The mixture of antagonistic meteorology, stubble fires and excessive native emissions create the situations for a extreme spike in air air pollution each October.

“We apportion the contribution from stubble burning daily. Now it’s 6%, however it would peak when the hearth factors additionally enhance within the coming days. The remainder of the 94% contribution is from numerous native components,” mentioned a senior scientist from IMD’s air high quality administration division.  

Sagnik Dey, affiliate professor, IIT Delhi, defined that the affect of stubble burning on air air pollution relies upon loads rely on the meteorological components.

“Meteorology is the primary issue—wind path is north westerly, the boundary layer is secure or winds are calm, temperature additionally drops. These components enhance the air pollution load considerably, almost doubling it. There may be not a lot change within the share of emissions in September and October. As well as, if there’s one other supply like stubble burning clearly air pollution ranges can spike however the affect will not be linear,” Dey mentioned.

“Although no research have been carried out on how a lot emissions want to scale back throughout antagonistic meteorological situations to deliver air high quality to acceptable ranges, my estimate is that emissions have to halve not simply in Delhi however within the Delhi airshed which incorporates 13 to 14 districts in Haryana and Uttar Pradesh,” he added.

Additionally Learn| ‘What did Delhi folks do in final 15 days?’ Delhi versus Centre on air pollution

A confrontation started between the Centre and the Delhi authorities on Thursday after Union setting minister Prakash Javadekar mentioned stubble burning is contributing to solely 4% of the overall air pollution load in Delhi. Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal countered that staying in denial is not going to assist. “If stubble burning causes solely 4% air pollution then why has air pollution immediately elevated final fortnight?,” he mentioned.

The setting ministry quickly after clarified that the contribution from stubble burning is 4% solely now and that it may well change relying on numerous components.

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here