Here is a take a look at six memorable moments from the earlier six tournaments:
– On the inaugural 2007 T20 World Cup in South Africa, India’s Yuvraj Singh hit six sixes in an over off the hapless Stuart Broad in a gaggle recreation towards England in Durban. Yuvraj had been impressed by a verbal altercation with Andrew Flintoff and he went on to steer his workforce to an 18-run win. India have been to defeat Pakistan within the closing.
– Within the 2009 match opener, the Netherlands pulled off a sensational four-wicket win over England at Lord’s, the ‘Dwelling of Cricket‘, in one of many sport’s best shocks. Chasing 163 to win, the Dutch scored two runs off the ultimate ball. Tommy de Grooth, who made a vital 49 for the Netherlands, stated: “We set out just a few months in the past to realize just a few issues — and this was one. We needed to play at Lord’s, qualify for the World Cup in 2011 and beat an enormous nation, and I feel we simply did that.”
– England sensed victory within the 2016 closing at Eden Gardens the place West Indies, chasing a 156-run goal, wanted 19 off the ultimate over to be bowled by Ben Stokes. With Marlon Samuels on the different finish after a vital innings of 85 runs in 66 balls, Brathwaite launched 4 successive sixes into the Kolkata evening sky. “Carlos Brathwaite! Carlos Brathwaite – keep in mind the identify! Historical past for the West Indies,” stated commentator Ian Bishop.
– Two years after their heartbreaking closing defeat to outdated rivals India by simply 5 runs in Johannesburg, Pakistan took the 2009 trophy with an eight-wicket win over Sri Lanka at Lord’s. Pakistan restricted Sri Lanka to 138-6 earlier than famous person Shahid Afridi led the run chase, hitting an unbeaten 54 off 40 balls.
– Sri Lanka have been champions of the 2014 match in Bangladesh however they wanted all of the wily abilities and management of spinner Rangana Herath to only make the semi-finals. Dealing with New Zealand in a make-or-break qualifying recreation, Sri Lanka have been bowled out for simply 119.
However Herath dismissed Brendon McCullum, Ross Taylor, Jimmy Neesham, Luke Ronchi and Trent Boult because the Black Caps have been undone for simply 60 runs. Herath claimed 5 wickets for simply three runs.
– On the 2016 match, South Africa piled up 229-4 in Mumbai off their 20 overs with Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock and JP Duminy all making half-centuries.
On the time it was second highest ever complete at a T20 World Cup however England dug deep as Joe Root hit a 44-ball 83 and Jason Roy smashed 43 from 16 deliveries.
England misplaced two wickets within the final over with the scores stage earlier than Moeen Ali sealed victory with two balls to spare.